Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Let the Wind Carry Me Away...

I've been feeling restless and out of place ever since I returned to the Bay Area in January of 2006 after a year and half adventure in Rome. Living in Rome proved to be, literally, the best time of my life. Yes I was there to pursue my MBA, but my experience proved to be much more than working towards a degree. I made amazing friends with whom I still continue to travel and share laughs, I've traveled, got sunburned, laughed my ass off, got lost a gazillion times, ate amazing food while washing it down with cheap and delicious wine and..... as I already mentioned, gained wonderful friendships...

I wasn't able to adjust to the US life although I tried very hard. I got a job in the corporate world and tried to convince myself that I liked it, but I didn't..... My instinct didn't fail me on my first work day, I wasn't keen on my job, but what kept me there for a year and a half were the amazing people that I worked with and adored. That was the ONLY reason why I lasted at that company for a year and a half.

I left my job in December of 2007 and embarked on a Southeast Asia adventure with my friend Nicole, with whom I became friends in Rome! When I came back, I decided to look for a different type of job, a job where I can actually enjoy what I do and can relate to the products. My previous experience has been in the marketing world of financial services.... Can't say it was too sexy or interesting.

This time around I wanted to find a job in the marketing department of the MOMA (modern art museum) or DeYoung, but as the economy started collapsing, my job prospects became slim. I tried to be optimistic, but after looking for a job for about 6 months, the reality set in. The economy wasn't getting any better any time soon so that's when I decided to close up shop and move!

I got rid of my apartment, sold my furniture and car and decided to move to Buenos Aires, Argentina! Why BA? Well, I originally wanted to move to Paris and even started studying French, but as I was researching the country, it became apparent that the EU laws are very strict and don't have many loopholes for non EU-residents. So as much as I wanted to move to Paris, I always had a some doubt that I wasn't able to camouflage, so I accepted the fact that at that time Paris wasn't an option.

But I was still restless and thirsted for change.

I haven't traveled through South America and I was trying to figure out when I would get to it. So one day I woke up and the first thing that popped into my head was...... BUENOS AIRES! And I thought to myself, "Well, why not Buenos Aires?" I've always heard wonderful things about Argentina and Buenos Aires being the Paris of South America with European architecture and way of life. The endless cafes, the European way of life, the wine..... My decision was made! 3 days later I gave notice for my apartment and started the preparations for my departure!

On March 30 I landed in Buenos Aires!

No comments: